What Camera should I buy??
  • simo79

What Camera should I buy??

by simo79 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:57 pm

Hello all

I have for a long time had a keen interest in photograph without being able to involve myself through a lack of time and finances. Both circumstances have now resolved somewhat and I am wanting to purchase my first DSLR and associated equiptment.

I am by no means flushed with funds and seek some advice as to what DSLR I should purchase and what accessories I will require. I plan on photographing landscapes but also have small children and I would like to be able to photgraph them as well.

I look forward with great anticipation to any replies!
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi Simo

Do you have a budget in mind?

Do you have friends or family that own DSLR cameras? I ask this because the most expensive part of owning a DSLR is getting lenses for it, if you have friends who already own some you can borrow them if you have the same brand of camera.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:18 pm

The camera that you feel most comfortable with is the best one for you
    Don't dismiss the new range of micro 4/3 digital camera these have interchangeable lens and pack a massive punch for their size. Some such as the GF1 has HD video . The new Sony range micro 4/3 digital camera look interesting a well .If I were starting off again the new Nikon D3100 would be high on my list.
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
  • simo79

by simo79 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:19 pm

No, unfortunately I do not know anyone else who owns any lenses etc. I live in a country town which makes it more difficult but does mean we have some fantastic scenery!

I was hoping to limit my initial spend $1,000 to get me started and then build from there.

simo79
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:33 pm

simo79 wrote:No, unfortunately I do not know anyone else who owns any lenses etc. I live in a country town which makes it more difficult but does mean we have some fantastic scenery!

I was hoping to limit my initial spend $1,000 to get me started and then build from there.

simo79

Little under $1000 but I would suggest a better lens something like a 18-70 as seen in this kit on ebay This kit would be a very nice starter http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-D70-Digita ... 3a5eaa9ef4

http://www.cameras.net.au/product_info. ... cts_id=323[/quote]
    http://www.cameras.net.au/product_info. ... cts_id=323
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:34 pm

I agree with Loz ( for once ) the D70 is an old model but still a very usable camera by any standard.

Remember once you buy into a system Nikon Canon etc it is difficult to change over later.

I am a Nikon fan after buying my first one in 1972 and sticking with them since then :lol:

Start simple and then work out exactly what you do need.

Nikon Nikon Nikon Nikon :wink:
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:18 pm

A friend on mine just picked up a Nikon D90 with a 18-105VR lens on the auction site for $1065.00. Genuine Australian with remaining warranty and the seller was in Melbourne.
    If you would look at used I would be keeping an eye out for something like that especially now that the release of the D7000 is imminent there will be people upgrading one and two year old D90's. Without going into the gory details if you have long term aspirations in photography the D90 in the Nikon range is really the minimum you should be looking at for several reasons based around the ability to use older lenses and the creative aspects of photography.
    If you want to buy new and you are going to be happy with a single camera and maybe a couple of lenses the D3100 mentioned above with maybe a twin lens kit would be a great place to start.
    Overall as has already mentioned there is no such thing as a bad camera these days anything you buy will produce wonderful pictures so what is really important is that you are comfortable handling your purchase. A camera you are happy to hold is a camera you will use. Go down to a large store with a selection of brands and just spend an hour so so annoying a salesperson (you will need at least that amount of time so don't skimp or be embarrassed) and try various brands and models. Pick them up, pretend to take photos, play with knobs and buttons. One or two will feel instantly comfortable and they are the ones you should be seriously looking at buying.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:13 pm

I agree with Dug (who would have thought :) )

Once you pick a system it is usually expensive to change over.

I am an Olympus person myself and there are a few choices in their range that may appeal to you.

There is the Micro 4/3 range which is smaller and lighter than a SLR but still quite large compared to a traditional Point and Shoot.

The panasonic M4/3 range is also quite good. Depending on which model you choose though you may push your budget a bit.

There Olympus SLR range also has a few entry models such as the E-400/500 series which depending on the model you may get a good kit within the price range.

Shooting landscapes and portraits of kids isn't something that requires a whole lot of camera and lens, most kits will get you by, until you get bitten that is and buy a better flash, then a lens, and upgrade the body, then the off camera flash kits etc etc.

Enjoy, find something you like. The specs will be much of a muchness at the entry level, only thing to consider is if you want video.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:57 am

ewwww I hate all this agreeing :(
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:04 am

Dug wrote:ewwww I hate all this agreeing :(

Well Dug, I don't hate it!

:)
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • simo79

by simo79 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:29 pm

thankyou for all your very helpful advice!

I have had a look at the NikonD3100 online and like the look sound of it. The HD Video recording sounds good, this feature will help convince the wife to spend the money as she wants a video camera it sounds like this will enable me put forward the argument of one stone two birds!

However from what I can see it was only released very recently, and doesnt seem like I can purchase it in my country town which would mean I would have to purchase online without having a hold and play with it first.

In respect to lenses it seems I can get a twin lens kit. I assume, at the risk of sounding incredibly stupid, that a 250mm or 300mm lense would be useful and better for the landscapes as opposed to the single lense?

Thanks again for all your assistance.

by the way the agreeing makes it easier for me!
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:59 pm

For landscapes most people use a lens in the 14-100mm range, most sticking to the wider end (lower number).

The 250-300mm is for sports or birds that you might be shooting from a distance.

If you think you want the Nikon (no good taste these days :D) then don'/t be afraid to go and play with the nikon that the local does have instore.

Most brands feel and hold the same to a point so it will give you a reasonable idea of what you are getting yourself into.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:08 pm

simo79 wrote:In respect to lenses it seems I can get a twin lens kit. I assume, at the risk of sounding incredibly stupid, that a 250mm or 300mm lense would be useful and better for the landscapes as opposed to the single lense?

Twin lens kits typically consist of a 18-55 lens plus a 55-200 lens. There are variations but that's the most common set.

The 18-55 is useful for wider angle shots and general shots including landscapes. Most landscape photographers would work in the 18-30 ttype range if that was the lens they had to use. You would generally use this lens for most indoor shots.

The 55-200 is a medium telephoto range ideal for portraits (55-100 range) and close ups of subjects that are more distant, animals at the zoo, kids sports, that sort of thing.

That's an incredibly basic explanation but I hope you get the general concept.

A twin lens kit is ideal for a new owner because it gives you reasonable coverage in the most popular range (effectively 18-200) and allows you to find your photographic feet. You may discover after a while that you take most of your shots at the wide angle end of the range and you can then upgrade to a better quality wide angle lens, similarly you may get right into the kids playing sport and discover you need more reach and a 70-300 type lens is what you need or that bird photos are your passion and the Sigma 500mm becomes something to lust after.

Photography is a journey and you are taking the first but by no means the last steps so be prepared for the roller coaster ride.

If you want to play with lenses at no cost Nikon have an on line lens simulator.

Click here to play and have fun

As far as the touch and feel is concerned most brands have a fairly generic feel. Try a couple of Canons and some Nikons (the D3000 and maybe a D90) and a Pentax or two and you will quickly get a feel for the brand you like. If you pick up two Canons and love them and two Nikons and hate them it's unlikely that you will be comfortable with any Nikon and it's equally likely that you will be fairly comfortable with any Canon.
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:10 pm

Looks like Busiboy think along the same lines (apart from his bad taste in cameras :D ) and that I must type slower.
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:23 pm

I would be weary of some kits. Make sure that the kits are the same brand (lens and body) some unscrupulous companies flog off cheap crap lens with a body at the same price as what you would get with a "real" kit lens.
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.