Filters from Ebay... are they are real deal?
  • User avatar
    Trieu
    Cadet
    Cadet
    Posts: 355
    Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:52 am
    Location: Sydney
    Contact:

    Filters from Ebay... are they are real deal?

    by Trieu » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:28 am

    Heya Everyone :)

    Looking at getting two UV filters (more for lens protection really) for my new babies, both 77mm.

    Has anyone dealt with these guys on ebay? http://stores.ebay.com.au/UR-Galaxy-Australia

    Prices seem very very good, maybe too good to be the real deal? I dunno so need to ask.. has anyone had any experience with them?

    Any other places to grab good value 77mm filters?
    Trieu
    <b> 30D and TWO L's </b>
  • shutterbug
    Member
    Member
    Posts: 188
    Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:37 pm
    Location: Pub in Sydney
    Contact:

    by shutterbug » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:30 am

    Why use a filter? Go nude

    I never use filters :wink:

    Maybe I am old school, but I do not see the point of putting another layer of glass infront of my lens :)

    vl
    Last edited by shutterbug on Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Fuji Disposable DSLR
  • shutterbug
    Member
    Member
    Posts: 188
    Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:37 pm
    Location: Pub in Sydney
    Contact:

    by shutterbug » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:33 am

    IF you insist, look at Hoya or B+W Brands

    http://www.madsens.com.au/hoyacart/main.htm

    vl
    Fuji Disposable DSLR
  • User avatar
    Kris
    Member
    Member
    Posts: 151
    Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:52 pm
    Location: Sydney
    Contact:

    by Kris » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:47 am

    I had a free kenko UV delivered with my 135mm F2, great that it was free but the glass appears to be lose totally as it moves around...

    Dont it will sit infront of my lovely 135, just sit at home..

    wouldnt bother with UV protection
    Canon 5D | 16-35 F2.8L MK II | 35 F1.4L | 135 F2.0L | 70-200 F2.8L IS | BG-E4 | 580EX |
  • User avatar
    greyko
    Cadet
    Cadet
    Posts: 605
    Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:17 pm
    Location: Brisbane - D90
    Contact:

    by greyko » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:38 am

    shutterbug wrote:Why use a filter? Go nude

    I never use filters :wink:

    Maybe I am old school, but I do not see the point of putting another layer of glass infront of my lens :)

    vl


    So when I scratch it I can replace the filter and not buy a new lens! (admittedly, never happened)
    That said, i've been taking the filters off a lot lately, nasty reflections from it in night shots.
  • User avatar
    johnd
    Cadet
    Cadet
    Posts: 395
    Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:16 pm
    Location: Sandy Bay, Tas
    Contact:

    by johnd » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:31 pm

    shutterbug wrote:IF you insist, look at Hoya or B+W Brands

    http://www.madsens.com.au/hoyacart/main.htm

    vl


    I don't buy anything but B+W MRC filters. You pay a bit more but the multi coating protects the optical quality if you rub it. You'll pay $100 -$120 for a 77mm B+W MRC in my experience. I wouldn't buy it from ebay.

    Cheers
    John
    D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
    http://www.johndarguephotography.com/
  • User avatar
    Andrew
    Cadet
    Cadet
    Posts: 331
    Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:55 pm
    Location: Sydney, NSW
    Contact:

    by Andrew » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:54 pm

    johnd wrote:
    I don't buy anything but B+W MRC filters. You pay a bit more but the multi coating protects the optical quality if you rub it. You'll pay $100 -$120 for a 77mm B+W MRC in my experience. I wouldn't buy it from ebay.

    Cheers
    John


    In total agreement here, the B+W MRC is just supreme compared with any other brand of filters. :wink:

    Go to Mainline they are the Australian distributers.
  • User avatar
    kiwiklicks
    Member
    Member
    Posts: 190
    Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:41 pm
    Location: Brisbane / Goldcoast
    Contact:

    by kiwiklicks » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:09 am

    I have got Hoya knock offs from ebay - ex china,
    They look ok, but they are what you pay for them?????
    Speed & Wheels -LOOOVEE IT Fast
    www.jasonharrison.com.au
  • User avatar
    cowsgomoo
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1986
    Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:56 pm
    Location: Ermington, NSW, Australia D300/D700
    Contact:

    by cowsgomoo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:13 am

    Andrew wrote:
    johnd wrote:
    I don't buy anything but B+W MRC filters. You pay a bit more but the multi coating protects the optical quality if you rub it. You'll pay $100 -$120 for a 77mm B+W MRC in my experience. I wouldn't buy it from ebay.

    Cheers
    John


    In total agreement here, the B+W MRC is just supreme compared with any other brand of filters. :wink:

    Go to Mainline they are the Australian distributers.


    Agree with the above. The ones i've got also have a brass thread which binds less than the aluminium ones. Hate having a filter stuck on the end of the lens
    David

    *** PPOK ***
  • Guest

    by Guest » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:31 am

    Forget UV filters. Second biggest rip-off in photography.


    Canon's biggest :P

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest