Shooting Glamour by Jason Cole
    Sir Tristram
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Shooting Glamour by Jason Cole

by Sir Tristram » Thu May 29, 2008 4:58 pm

I have been lurking around some of the sites who have in depth glamour sections and came by a tog called Jason Cole. He is a very experienced glamour shooter for a whole stack of big name mags in Australia.

Anyhow he released a DVD stacked with very good info on how to shoot glamour. I received mine last week and can say that bang for your buck it is very good value.

You can read more about it here;
    http://www.jasoncolephotography.com.au/_portal_page/off-pages/dvd-vol1/dvd-vol1.html

I am very good at "monkey see, monkey do" type instructions and being able to go behind the scenes of some of these shoots and see how the lights are set, what ISO, what Fstop, how to interact with the models was a real bonus for me.

So I have to give this DVD a big tick for anyone who wants to produce better "people" shots.

And better still Jason has now become a member of Digitalslr and I am sure he'd be happy to discuss any aspect of the DVD with you.

**Note ***
    I did pay for my own copy of his DVD so my opinion hasn't been tarnished by getting freebies ( Thats not to say that if Porsche offered me a free 911 Turbo my opinion could not be bought )
    John C.
    **PPOK**
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Thu May 29, 2008 6:25 pm

Darn.. Jason is watching ? so a cant ask to "borrow" the set ?

;-)

jason just joking.. I don't shoot glamor. The one time I tried I found that its not for me.. its a bit disconcerting when the subject talks back!! :shock:
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    Sir Tristram
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Sir Tristram » Thu May 29, 2008 6:31 pm

The one time I tried I found that its not for me.. its a bit disconcerting when the subject talks back

Yes but you would have gotten better the 2nd and 3rd time round Hearty. Its just having the right mindset and practice. Not that I'm any good at it but its bloody fun trying I am here to tell you.
    John C.
    **PPOK**
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Thu May 29, 2008 7:46 pm

Sir Tristram wrote:
    The one time I tried I found that its not for me.. its a bit disconcerting when the subject talks back

Yes but you would have gotten better the 2nd and 3rd time round Hearty. Its just having the right mindset and practice. Not that I'm any good at it but its bloody fun trying I am here to tell you.

Ok.... :roll: sigh .. since there is a comp I may have to try again... :(

hmmm now here do I find one of them model things.

:lol: :twisted:
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    Sir Tristram
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Sir Tristram » Thu May 29, 2008 7:49 pm

Must have a family or friend who will help you out here Hearty...Hey you have a wife!!!! Theres a perfect model for you straight away.

:P
    John C.
    **PPOK**
  • jasonco

DVD

by jasonco » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:02 pm

Thanks guys :-)

Yeah i can honestly say I put six months solid work into this DVD and based on other DVDs its the best of its kind. Professional production team, oodles of dollars spent on the making and production equals a quality product.

So far all the POTN (Photography-on-the.net) people have loved it...

You can get it here:

www.jasoncolephotography.com.au

Thanks again :-) I will be popping into the forum on a regular basis so if you want to ask any questions, please do so.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:27 pm

Jason, While this comp will inspire people to want to know more, while we all still have stars in our eyes about the competition none will be buying. expect sales in a month or so :D

As for your video, we can only go from the rave reviews of those that of others, I have worked on an instructional video of another type (martial arts) and I can assure anyone out there that 6 months is no stretch of the imagination when it comes to putting these together.

A cheap price for an insight into how it is really done and then tuition on top of that.

(I'll be saving for mine for a months time :S)
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • Oxley

by Oxley » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:26 am

Is there any where else I can buy the DVD's from without going the Paypal method of payment?
    Sir Tristram
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Sir Tristram » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:59 am

Mark, drop Jason an e-mail and I'm sure he'll sort you out with a copy.

JC
    John C.
    **PPOK**
  • Oxley

by Oxley » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:57 am

Finally purchased this DVD and it is great, it’s the only instructional DVD that had me watching for 3 hours (by the time you get through all the extras) and left me wanting more…

When is the next one coming out!
    Sir Tristram
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Sir Tristram » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:07 am

DVD 2 is in production now Mark.
    John C.
    **PPOK**
    Bodak
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by Bodak » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:10 am

Oxley wrote:When is the next one coming out!

Six months time. :D

Having put together my own little DVDs I know how much time this must of taken.
    Be at peace. - Stephen.
    Web Site
    PPOK
    Sir Tristram
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Sir Tristram » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:11 am

I think thats a realistic time frame Stephen.
    John C.
    **PPOK**
    photoboy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by photoboy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:57 pm

I was lucky enough to win a copy of this DVD some months ago in the glamour challenge.

To me one of the best features is the way Jason takes pains to explain the reasons behind his choices of various pieces of gear, and as always the "long shot" to show the overall setups along with the final images.

Jason's set ups are really quite simple but they produce great results ... not quite "one light" but close to it :wink:

PC
    Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug.
    "chance" favours the prepared mind ...