Digital view camera...?
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Digital view camera...?

by beeb » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:58 pm

Seems pretty focal length limited (Wide-angles are not really viable, even with a mirrorless body), but interesting concept otherwise.

Would be amazing for macro or close-up shooting!

https://captureintegration.com/first-look-cambo-actus/

Interested to hear your thoughts W G, as you're probably the only one here who's used a real view camera.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Digital view camera...?

by Eden » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:38 pm

Wow,

I'm only a third of the way through the article but like what I'm reading.

Just so I can sort it out in my head................ Basically it is a set of macro bellows with "tilt / shift" built in and the ability to use all sorts and brands of lenses.

I think I have the right idea!
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:31 pm

It would be the most promising with a mirrorless like the Sony A7 range or better still the medium format digital back mount shown later in this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VHU12u2taU

DSLR's with mirror boxes would probably still be better off with T/S lenses designed to stay within their restricted light path access to the sensor.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:20 pm

Yes and no Eden. If you can get the distance between the lens and the sensor right, infinity focus can still be achieved. But extending the bellows would allow focusing on closer objects, plus the option of all the extra movements.

(I think...) It's difficult to get it working with wide angle lenses (ie: wider than roughly 40mm) because it starts to mean the lens needs to be more-or-less inside the lens plate to get the distance to the sensor correct, as the rear elements of the lens would already be very close to the sensor. Using 35mm SLR-style lenses with a mirrorless body would allow some extra wiggle room (approx 26mm extra if using Canon EF to Sony E (mirrorless) for example), but then the image circle of the lenses are generally only designed to cover the 35mm (diagonal) sensor anyway, so you start to have to look at medium format or large format lenses, as they were made to project over larger sensor/film areas.

And elaborating more on the Yes, being able to precisely manipulate and place the focus and depth of field combined with easy close focusing would make it amazing for macro and "art" (ie: still life) close ups.

While they don't offer the full range of movements, TS-E's are still very capable things, and definitely offer a lot for the wider angles. I think something like this would be much better for the longer focal lengths (particularly macro lenses) than say a Canon 90mm TS-E, which is a bloody awkward thing to use with its hyper-sensitive and inaccurate tilt mechanism.

Interesting stuff anyway!

Not sure if it not having rear swing/tilt makes in more of an adaptable Tilt-Shift setup rather than a true view camera though?
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:29 pm

Doug wrote:It would be the most promising with a mirrorless like the Sony A7 range or better still the medium format digital back mount shown later in this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VHU12u2taU

DSLR's with mirror boxes would probably still be better off with T/S lenses designed to stay within their restricted light path access to the sensor.

Actually looks practical in use too, which often seems a rare thing with setups like this (Looks easier to use than the Canon TS-E's to be honest!). The camera rotate lever is a feature so good you would almost not notice it until required. It all looks beautifully engineered too, makes my gear-lust go all swoony, lol.

It'd be amazing with a MF digital back, a much better option than the conventional MF bodies in a lot of respects - but such an arrangement would require a very healthy budget indeed! One can dream!
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:17 pm

I already have the Eos M and this has the shorter distance from the sensor.

the adapter for Eos lenses and the adapter for the fd lenses is quite thick.

hopefully this would work also.

my main interest would be still life and macro anyhow and the widest I would use on a setup like this (bearing in mind I am using a cropped sensor and probably always will) would be a pancake Ef40mm or Ef nifty 50.

was there an indicative price mentioned and approximate for adapter plates (lens and camera adapters) etc as I think I will read this a few times this evening,

cheers fellas !
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:59 pm

Eden wrote:was there an indicative price mentioned and approximate for adapter plates (lens and camera adapters) etc as I think I will read this a few times this evening,

Prohibitively expensive, just shy of $2000 USD... :(

Eden wrote:I already have the Eos M and this has the shorter distance from the sensor.

the adapter for Eos lenses and the adapter for the fd lenses is quite thick.

hopefully this would work also.

my main interest would be still life and macro anyhow and the widest I would use on a setup like this (bearing in mind I am using a cropped sensor and probably always will) would be a pancake Ef40mm or Ef nifty 50.

If you could live without the geared adjustment, I'm sure a equivelent could be home-made. It still wouldn't be very cheap, but with some thrifty shopping including some cheap lens adaptors, a ball head, and a couple of macro rails - you could generate similar movements. For macro the tilt/swing is likely more important than the rise/fall/shift anyway. I've seen some "free-lens" designs that could be evolved to use lens mount adaptors with bellows to support the lens.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:25 pm

"Prohibitively expensive"

great choice of words :)

it wont be till June that the Kidneys recover so it is safe to assume it is out of my price range,

dang
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:11 pm

You would also need large image circle lenses, bigger than a tilt shift even.
    That is why the lens pairings shown for the FF Sony A7 where medium and large format lenses.