Interesting if true. Panasonic advancement
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Interesting if true. Panasonic advancement

by Eden » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:55 pm

I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Interesting if true. Panasonic advancement

by Doug » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:00 am

Went over my head, but very interesting.
    So much out there technology at the moment in it's infancy, like nano structures, quantum computing, bio mixed with tech applications that the mind boggles what it will bring.

Things that were once futuristic like, silicon chips, lasers, fiber optics, LED's are now every day possessions that have transformed our lives for better or worse.

I don't know what 100x wider dynamic range equates to, but I don't set a point in surpassing the human eye if that where the case for general photograph application.

Nice to have real world dynamic range as an option, but it would be a mistake to loose sight of how the quirks and limitations of our photographic heritage have shaped the character of the best images ever made.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:57 am

Who else recalls, over 10 years ago, when Fuji won the hearts and minds of portrait and wedding photographers by developing a chip with paired pixels that simultaneously captured high values and low values?
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:32 pm

Yes Walter it seems they are using Fuji technology here.

"We are using an organic photoconductive film (OPF) that FUJIFILM Corporation has developed."
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:26 pm

W G wrote:Who else recalls, over 10 years ago, when Fuji won the hearts and minds of portrait and wedding photographers by developing a chip with paired pixels that simultaneously captured high values and low values?

That would be the FinePix S5 Pro and S3 Pro

They still place a credible 30th and 32nd in DXO mark's scores of dynamic range in sensors.
    Sony, Nikon and Pentax have surpassed them since.

Canon's best is the 5Ds at 99th place

Clearly Fuji have since dropped this tech since, the best of the rest is the Finepix X100 placed 103 rd then they are in the 200's

After reading this Eden http://www.osadirect.com/news/article/9 ... mic-range/
    it appears that this up and coming tech is a Fuji and Panasonic collaboration effort, something the DigitalRev article is not very clear on.
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:44 am

Still enjoying the colours and DR of the S5Pro :-)

Note the amazing textures in the whites..

PS:Sigh Facebook does mess with photos .. oh well ..

Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.