Chucking in a troll statement
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Chucking in a troll statement

by LOZ » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:48 pm

The new offering of some P&S cameras and phone cameras has far passed photo quality of DSLRs for internet posting .

:overboard:
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Re: Chucking in a troll statement

by beeb » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:57 pm

LOZ wrote:The new offering of some P&S cameras and phone cameras has far passed photo quality of DSLRs for internet posting .

:overboard:

Largely true. More manageable file sizes, I can think of one new Samsung that has awesome high-dynamic range in-camera (in-software might be more accurate), and they are a 'snap' to use. Just gets a bit awkward if you want to print a shot big... (Which honestly, most of us never do anyway).

What's the best one for forum posting anyway Loz? Oops, Never mind... :wink:

I think it's probably true to say that a lot of us enjoy the process and control offered by a camera with manual or semi-manual controls. I know I find the 'simplified' controls (buried behind buttons and menus) of point and shoots pretty tedious.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:41 pm

for sure !

but I shoot for me, and share if it is easy.

I do it all wrong!

I shoot in Jpeg
    I edit with the windows app
    I load to Flickr
    from my cheap crappy 5 year old laptop through a secondary monitor.
    I then post wherever ad nauseam if needed from Flickr.

after all that I'm sure you could see colour in my B+W shots. :)

this process seems to chew the guts from many of my captures and it is sad but I have what I need on Hard drives where it is safe.

My views might change in time

but

I wouldn't have another point n F'n shoot if you paid me.

The mirrorless is a novelty (with the glassless adapters for retro lenses etc.) but not the brain food I need

for me it is more about what I got to keep to play with later than flogging it out here and there now!

(yeah I know I should shoot in raw but my gear couldn't handle it, soon to change though. :) )

I would rather go to film and the A-1 I have here whilst cleaning it than another mind numbing P+S.

just me though !
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:01 pm

I would have to be a member of Instagram or similar to see enough phone and p/s imagery to form my own experience of this.

I don't see where the enthusiast camera (DSLR and mirrorless) is at any disadvantage for internet sharing in principal , though it is very possible that particularly phone images are tweaked in the factory setting to look great as compressed images on the internet.
    The enthusiast with their flat raw files on a colour corrected monitor really need to make two images, one that looks good at full file size and will probably print well and a separate one for image sharing that accounts for all the processes it will under go.

I export mine to a desktop folder as a jpeg, upload that to Photobucket, then link from there to this site.
    It is the original I'm more interested in so I don't bother with an internet adjusted variation unless it really screws up.
    Mostly I get a satisfactory to me impression of the original.