Over the top photos for house sale
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Over the top photos for house sale

by Eden » Wed May 18, 2016 2:37 pm

My house is on the market as of yesterday and we have been looking at others close to where we are staying.

Saw what looked to be a fantastic 1850's cottage that backed onto a local small river set on 2200m2. The rooms looked fairly spacious and the land/property looked very neat and well kept.

We got there and were gob smacked at the tallent of the photographer and his photoshop skills.

The trouble was that they totally missed their market with the photos as they were too good.
    Most people were disappointed and almost backed out the front gate as it was tragic compared to the photos.
    Most of the target clientele would not have showed as they would expect the asking price was grossly underestimated and a ploy to get people through the door.

I know it is not the photographers fault as the market drives the clever/deceptive captures so the tog is just doing what is expected and what pays the bills.

If only the property owners knew or realised it was too much glitter rolling.

Here are a few lenses in waiting when mine is sold
    :badgrin:
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: Over the top photos for house sale

by LOZ » Thu May 19, 2016 2:29 pm

I can see a little similarity maybe he has good imagination and even better PS skills

Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Thu May 19, 2016 3:01 pm

That one TRUMPs everything Loz.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat May 21, 2016 2:38 am

There was a motto in advertising for decades: The truth, well told. Colouring the truth has become so facile in the digital age that there is now added impetus to the Biblical proposition: "What is truth?"
    The ease of falsification is just the tip of the iceberg. Far greater is the influx of what used to be termed as 'back-yarners'. Training and being nurtured in the industry used to mean getting a solid grounding in the ethics and morality of unleashing the power of the device you held up to your eye. Now it is just about selling out and doing whatever it takes to ensure you get the next gig with not a thought for the greater truth or implications. And, just like this gig, the next gig will also be worth peanuts in terms of recompense. One thing holds forever true: 'Pay peanuts and you get monkeys!"

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Mon May 23, 2016 6:51 pm

This came up on DP review the other day.
    http://www.landscapepro.pics/
    It's called LandscapePro.

No more waiting for an interesting sky or the right time of day, just go to this plugin and make some magic.
    Use free stock photos and you don't even need a camera or have to leave the house.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Mon May 23, 2016 9:50 pm

I always get a chuckle when I see the preview shots with these things. You always know that when everyday folk start playing with them they end up using pictures with totally mis-matched lighting (even in terms of light direction/colour) and wondering why the results don't come out the same.

The saddest thing is not the advent of digital capture or digital editing - it's the lack of self-control and honesty when editing the picture.

Most of the editing I do is to try and recapture what me eyes saw when I was looking at the scene myself (ignoring obvious creative differences such as long exposures, narrow DOF, etc...). But some of what I see leaves me bamboozled. HDR's that looked like scrunched up tissues that someone's tried to pull flat, cloned out objects or edited in features. It's missing the whole point of the challenge for my mind.

Some stuff I do blends more into the realm of digital art (ie: with the use of artificial lighting in my car shots) - but I'm the first to admit it. I'm aware it's a stylistic choice rather than a true representation of reality.

And looping back to the original thread topic - I feel your pain Eden. So many places are complete tips, or absolutely tiny but photographed to give the illusion of palatial space and luxury. Then you turn up to these claustrophobic, dingy and grimey little boxes and it's such a let down it just makes you want to leave on the spot. Definitely had a counter-productive effect on me!
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sat May 28, 2016 12:07 pm

Here is another new software to take the drudgery out of photography.

https://picturesqe.com/

When you upload your pictures from the camera it uses sophisticated algorithms to filter the images. Amongst other things it will rank the images on visual aesthetics.
    This allows you to throw away the images it does not deem up to scratch, not pretty enough, not following composition rules, a bit busy, at an early stage and save you hard drive space and the effort of looking at all the images.

It's a bit of a read but here is a review on the software.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/the-goo ... est-frames

Though by no means glowing in its impression of the software, it is disappointing that it gives any credibility to it at all.