Derek Smith photographer
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Derek Smith photographer

by Doug » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:23 am

I picked up a book show casing the photography of Dekek Smyth while I was over in New Zealand.
    Its called "Hometown New Zealand" and the images immediately struck a cord with me.
    https://www.paperplus.co.nz/book/hometo ... 1927213117

He is a passionate photographer with a keen interest in social documentary and urban environment.
    To that end he cleverly chose not to be a professional photographer but instead a meter reader, which helped no end with collecting
    30 yrs worth of material.

Here is his Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/travelling--light/page1 to give you the flavor of his work.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: Derek Smith photographer

by W G » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:42 am

It begs the question, "Who is Maclean Baker, and what is his role?"

My memory of NZ from the early 90's was that it was the only place remaining with an abundance of Hillman Minxes and Ford Anglias. Just as that thought was being eroded by their absence from the views, up popped a Morris ISIS from the 1950s — a time when ISIS was still an Egyptian Goddess of health, marriage, and wisdom and not a rebellious organisation in the Levant.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:47 am

W G wrote:It begs the question, "Who is Maclean Baker, and what is his role?"

I don't know either.
    Derek does not seem to have a grasp of self promotion in modern media to find out a lot about him.

The book I got is solely credited to Derek and follows the colour theme idea found in the albums section of the Flickr page, to give you an idea of who's work is who's.

There are still some gems to be found in the wild there.
    I got this one at Shag Point NZ a couple of weeks ago.

• W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:41 am

We live and learn: I don't think I was ever aware of a Vanguard Spacemaster Estate. We had a neighbour who had the saloon.

One childhood idea I had is reinforced here now: that is that in a post-WWII culture the grilles of Pommy vehicles resembled military moustaches..
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:09 pm

W G wrote:One childhood idea I had is reinforced here now: that is that in a post-WWII culture the grilles of Pommy vehicles resembled military moustaches..

It does have a touch of the Montgomery to it.