The Fuji X-E 1 is going .....
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

The Fuji X-E 1 is going .....

by W G » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:21 am

Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: The Fuji X-E 1 is going .....

by Eden » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:51 am

May I ask your reasons please Walter as I spent a fair amount of time comparing the two photos of the bike and apart from some colour and light differences was impressed with the Fuji

I did however prefer the general look of the Canon capture.

cheers Eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:03 pm

[pad][/pad]Why am I not surprised[floatright][/floatright]
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
    dm_td5
    Cadet
    Cadet

by dm_td5 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Walter I'd also like to know why. I've considered getting one myself but am hesitant over shutter lag, size and the ability of the EVF. So I've been waiting to get my hands on one in a store before deciding.

The canon/fuji bike shots I thought both had their merits so I'm thinking it just doesn't meet your requirements. Is that a fair guess?
    Derek - Nikon, Manfrotto, RRS, Apple *- PPOK -*
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:56 am

The decision to flog the Fuji resulted from the comparison shoot that I did with the bike studio assignment. I expected more from the Fuji in terms of image quality but it just didn't do it. Don't get me wrong. It is not inferior or inadequate, but the image quality was on par with my ancient Canon EOS 5D and I thought there should have been a more marked improvement to justify its keep.

Handling on the bike shoot was also an issue. The focus with the macro 60mm was a pain in the proverbial.

Prior to buying the Fuji, I had a pipe-dream that the Fuji would also be a great walk-around camera. Well. The truth is, I don't do digital. My walk-around camera is a 4x5 Linhof. I have had the Fuji since December and have not once taken it out on a photo escapade — not that there have been many so far this year. On Saturday I am planning a road trip with a cronie and I would would never contemplate just taking the Fuji (or the Canon for that matter).

I watch how Ebay goes. I have set high prices so it may or may not sell. I do use the camera for a newsletter that I produce (nothing I can't do with the Canon) and maybe I would hang onto the body and the 35mm lens just for that. But at the end of the day, the Fuji isn't my sort of production camera. I do know that simon Kenny is now using one for his architectural work but I am not sure I would be happy with that.

The biggest advantage of the Fuji on the bike shoots was the Live View. The thought is, if I do flog the Fuji I will upgrade the Canon to a 5D MkIII and I'll have Live View with it.

Cheers lads,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:59 pm

dm_td5 wrote:Walter I'd also like to know why. I've considered getting one myself but am hesitant over shutter lag, size and the ability of the EVF. So I've been waiting to get my hands on one in a store before deciding.

Just to throw my 2c in, the EVF is generally very good (though it can struggle a little in very low-light situations (it becomes jumpy), but that is forgiveable IMO).

Shutter lag hasn't really been an issue for me, but that may partly be because the AF is pityfully slow and innacurate in many situations. Many a time I have presented it with a scene with plenty of highly-constrasting objects at moderate distances and it still fails to find something to lock onto (and even when it does lock on, it's still pretty slow to get there). It's the main failing in my mind.

There are also a few minor quirks and limitations in the software, but nothing of any great significance in reality, lenses are very good, and most of the controls are well thought out. So while it is a little flawed in places, if you're not trying to shoot sports or wildlife, overall it's a great camera.
    dm_td5
    Cadet
    Cadet

by dm_td5 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:28 pm

Beeb - You make it sound like the X100 :lol:

Thanks for the summary Walter. Hope you get a quick sale.
    Derek - Nikon, Manfrotto, RRS, Apple *- PPOK -*
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:56 am

Hope you get a quick sale as a birthday present Walter

and thanks for the feedback

Eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:20 pm

dm_td5 wrote:Beeb - You make it sound like the X100 :lol:

Thanks for the summary Walter. Hope you get a quick sale.

Pretty much just a big-sensor X100 with interchangeable lenses... :wink:
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:06 pm

Looking forward to the X200 :wink:
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:30 am

With the value of 20/20 hinsight I probably realised the best of all possible outcomes:

the 60mm macro sold for the same price that I paid for it,

the camera and 35mm 1:1.4 did not sell.

The camera is useful for the newsletter purpose to which it is applied, and it is fun to tinker with. It just wasn't much chop at a more serious level of production.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

• W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:25 am

Well, well, well, ..... for the first time in years of trading I got dudded on Ebay. No great harm done — not a single item was wrapped or waltzed to the Post Office.

So, the camera and lenses are back up on Ebay.

There were some lessons learned, thanks to Ebay staff and I shall make another thread to advise what their instructions are.

Additionally, I made a much loved acquisition on Ebay on Sunday night. I bought yet another Hasselblad - a 501 CM with 80mm Planar. Yippee!!

Cheers,
    Walter Glover