A Hearty Challenge (Film)
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

A Hearty Challenge (Film)

by heartyfisher » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:12 am

Since the PMA was such a disappointment, I have decided to dust off my old film camera and run a roll or 2 through and scan it.

There have been talk about Film being better in term of Dynamic Range and Resolution(Megapixels) even better than Digital SLR that costs more than a car. So is it true? .. Lets try for ourselves.

I challenge the forum members to do the same and post a couple of your favs from the roll. lets see what we discover(rediscover?). Should be a fun couple of weeks don't you think?

Tell me what camera and film you used and how you approached this challenge! Good luck and have fun!

PS: Ok where is a good place to scan film or slides? what are the good films these days and where do we get them?

PS:2: Digital is good for some stuff like high speed multi-frame stuff.. but what subjects and conditions would be good for film/slides?
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:57 am

I like your idea hearty and I think you are about to find out that film isn't as easy as you may hope a roll of 12 x 120 + scanning will cost a arm and a leg .
    If I had to go back to film I think that I would give up photography for good . Their is a near new Nikon F5 in my dry cabinet that has never had a roll of film put through it :wink:
    rookie

by rookie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:39 am

I dont have a film camera so this came be my contribution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-z-9te6y4k
    PPOK
    canon 450D -50mm- 70-300 IS
    wayne
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:48 am

rookie wrote:I dont have a film camera so this came be my contribution

Well their you go any offers for the F5 :D :D :D :D its a beautiful door stop
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:46 am

LOZ wrote:

Well their you go any offers for the F5 :D :D :D :D its a beautiful door stop

?? really ? You selling?
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:51 am

Interesting .. flash presentation .. but flawed .. 400 ISO on a d700 vs 400 iso on film is not a fair comparisson. D700 at 400 iso is just about in its sweet spot. I would suggest that iso 400 on a d700 would be equivalent to IS0 100 for film. They should have tried some iso 25 film and see how that compared !!
    Kristine65
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Kristine65 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:25 pm

I'll take you up on that offer, Hearty. Might take me a few weeks but WTH? :D

oooOOOooo... Gadget Show is cool! I've seen this one before. Can't remember where but :? Did anyone else notice their snazzy 5m wide printer didn't do edge to edge? :lol:

Another thing tho... who'd blow up a 35mm negative to that size anyway? Anyone shooting for a billboard would use medium or large format cameras. Also, we don't know what format they used in the DSLR.
    Krissy
    PPOK
    8^)
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:13 pm

LOZ wrote:I like your idea hearty and I think you are about to find out that film isn't as easy as you may hope a roll of 12 x 120 + scanning will cost a arm and a leg .
    If I had to go back to film I think that I would give up photography for good . Their is a near new Nikon F5 in my dry cabinet that has never had a roll of film put through it :wink:

The idea is not "to go back to film" but to use film where it makes sense to.
    eg where quality is required and only a few frames are to be shot. It is more expensive for sure but is it not cheaper than a d3x?
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:17 pm

Kristine65 wrote:I'll take you up on that offer, Hearty. Might take me a few weeks but WTH? :D

oooOOOooo... Gadget Show is cool! I've seen this one before. Can't remember where but :? Did anyone else notice their snazzy 5m wide printer didn't do edge to edge? :lol:

Another thing tho... who'd blow up a 35mm negative to that size anyway? Anyone shooting for a billboard would use medium or large format cameras. Also, we don't know what format they used in the DSLR.

I think processing film is slow so a month or 2 would be within reason.

DSLR? they used the FullFrame D700.
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:18 pm

Hmmm .. one of those disposable ones?
    cowsgomoo
    Reporter
    Reporter

by cowsgomoo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Ahhhh, analogue memory cards...... 8)

:D :D
    David

*** PPOK ***
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:09 am

LOZ wrote:I like your idea hearty and I think you are about to find out that film isn't as easy as you may hope a roll of 12 x 120 + scanning will cost a arm and a leg .

Loz, it sort of misses the point a bit don't you think.

With medium format cameras you have to think very different to ratatat easy peasy dig small format stuff.

There is no way in heaven or hell my D700 could ever be compared to my RB67 or Mamiya TLR. I processed 2 rolls of B&W from the TLR this week and the outcomes are so different simply because I see differently with the medium format and the TLR is square format so even more so.

Even with 35mm cameras you have to be more conservative and think about your photography as you are limited to 36 shots not 400-800 shots :roll:

I have an epson scanner which gives a great result so scanning costs are not a problem.

Anyway thats my 2 pence worth. I may even go crazy and set up the scanner and even submit a photo to this thread.

is 300mb from a single optical scan too big :wink:
    In a forum, no one can hear you scream!

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:00 am

Bump...

Took me a while but I found this crowd.. recommended by a wedding photographer friend who only uses film for his wedding photos .. Will check them out tomorrow..

http://www.c41express.com.au/09news.html
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:37 pm

heartyfisher wrote:Bump...

Took me a while but I found this crowd.. recommended by a wedding photographer friend who only uses film for his wedding photos .. Will check them out tomorrow..

http://www.c41express.com.au/09news.html

Ok Guys ! I went to visit them today. I later sent mark an email regarding a special deal for us. So For the Month of APRIL...

-------------------------------
    Thank you for your email, I am happy for the month of April to run a $15 develop and high resolution scan of each roll for you and the "digital SLR forum"
    as long as they mention that its for the "Digital SLR forum"
    We currently service a lot of inter state clients so we are happy to service these guys as well as your international on liners.
    Kind Regards

Mark
    ------------------------------

I think the normal price is about $25. So get to it guys !!
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:58 am

Bump for Dug...