RANT___Camera REPAIR
    matt
    Reporter
    Reporter

RANT___Camera REPAIR

by matt » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:53 pm

Just need to get this off my chest..

D700 sent for repair on MAY 1st 2009,dropped in by a mate.

Faults inconsistent auto focus, the D700 would not lock on in lighting that the D70s had no issues at all. Then when it would lock on, the focus seemed off , shot to shot. Also the focus indication beeper was very faint . A number of hot pixels on longer exposures.

The repairer said the autofocus could not be faulted, the pixels were a result of the long exposures but they would pixel map, however their software said it was all fine. The speaker was to be replaced.

Many 2 months passed with we are waiting on parts. Then one day out of the blue they contacted me to say the camera and another repair I had done would be ready he next day. Good news..

Not for long, within 1/2 hour the "technician" had required another part that would take a further 2 weeks.

Finally all done and returned to me via post today..I even cut an O/T shift short to pick before the post-office closed.Good news....

Not for long, got home grabbed my charged battery and installed along with a CF card. Looking through the viewfinder, it appears to be in DX mode with Closest focus selected (all focal points in viewfinder), so I shot off an image.. All good, love that sound.

Not for long, the second image did not display. Shutter definitely fired.. then another ,same thing.. Thats odd. Reviewing the image the shutter speed fstop data is all there just no image.

So I went into the menu and double checked DX mode was set to Auto, then I set it to FX. The DX box still visible along with all the focus points even-though I've changed it to single point......

SO I tried 3 different FX lenses and even a DX just incase it was confused but no luck...I tried a different CF card just incase the non exposed image was CF corruption, however the fault continued with the new CF card..

I reset the camera ect, and tried all the usual tricks..No luck..
    To top it off the diopter adjuster seems to be sticking out and is stuck and cannot be adjusted.....
    So I'll be on the phone tomorrow, and I am pi***d.. The least they could do after 3 months is ensure it working, I wouldn't be so upset if I could just drive there with it and get it looked at.. But its back in the mail for a 700klm 4day trip..Not to mention the $40 postage and insurance costs..

I am so contemplating selling up and swapping camps..

Rant over have a nice day..

MATT
    CraigVTR
    Reporter
    Reporter

by CraigVTR » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:04 pm

NOt a good experienece Matt, where did you send it for the repair? Let us know how you get on.
    Regards
    Craig
    PPok Other pics in post OK
    So many forums, so little time.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:59 pm

I wouldn't be happy either, good luck.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    matt
    Reporter
    Reporter

by matt » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:08 pm

Its been sent back, so time will tell......

Gone to Andersons in Brisbane.

MATT
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:38 pm

Give them a call and voice your disappointment. Ask to speak to one of the managers and get them to check on the cameras repair.

Andersons has always been pretty good but as any company can employ less than competent staff. If I was a manager I would want to know.
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    matt
    Reporter
    Reporter

by matt » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:15 pm

Dug wrote:Give them a call and voice your disappointment. Ask to speak to one of the managers and get them to check on the cameras repair.

Andersons has always been pretty good but as any company can employ less than competent staff. If I was a manager I would want to know.

Yep all done Dug, right from when it has taken 3months grrrrrrr..

I will give them to the end of the week before another call.

They promised me it would go to the top of the list.

I was actually thinking of contacting Nikon Aus and see if I can get help that way.

MATT
    Oneputt

by Oneputt » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:37 pm

Matt very sorry to hear of your problem. I have always found Andersons to be very good.
    "The good thing about meditation, is that it makes doing nothing respectable." **PPOK**

www.oneputtphotographics.com
    http://oneputt.redbubble.com/
    matt
    Reporter
    Reporter

by matt » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:48 pm

Oneputt wrote:Matt very sorry to hear of your problem. I have always found Andersons to be very good.

They have been very helpful, i just would have expected a little better quality assurance that is all.

They replaced the main board and flashed some eprom . The other thing I noticed is that with all the focus point highlighted that some of the 51 were missing initially and them they returned but I still miss the one directly above the centre point...

MATT
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:27 pm

Sorry but unless you speak to the manager at Nikon they can be pretty hopeless.

Or have been for me in the past anyway.

The manager when I spoke to him was great I got loan gear while mine was being repaired. so it may be worth asking ?

matt wrote:
    Dug wrote:Give them a call and voice your disappointment. Ask to speak to one of the managers and get them to check on the cameras repair.

Yep all done Dug, right from when it has taken 3months grrrrrrr..

I will give them to the end of the week before another call.

They promised me it would go to the top of the list.

I was actually thinking of contacting Nikon Aus and see if I can get help that way.

MATT
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    Dave_XTC

by Dave_XTC » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:30 am

If everyone bought Pentax cameras there wouldn't be any problems.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    "Now that I have invented the roll film, it is now up to another to introduce the Pentax SLR camera to use it in. What a perfect combination that will be !!"...George Eastman (1888).
    matt
    Reporter
    Reporter

by matt » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:40 am

well she's on her way back... So time will tell.
    matt
    Reporter
    Reporter

by matt » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:24 am

Well after much pain its finally back.

And operating as expected.....3months without it has been interesting.. I had my daughters D70s to play with in the mean time ..

But just typical I've been bed ridden for 5 days trying to get over the flu, so hopefully I'll get out with some enthusiasm and give the old girl a run..

I guess I can end the RANT now as I have nothing left to complain about :lol: :lol:

Have a nice Day..

But it does remind me to purchase some aftermarket warranty, as I promised no new camera for 3 yrs....
    Oneputt

by Oneputt » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:17 am

Good news Matt :D
    "The good thing about meditation, is that it makes doing nothing respectable." **PPOK**

matt
    Reporter
    Reporter

by matt » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:12 pm

Just a little update.. After a few months of using my repaired D700 I have come to the conclusion it is no good.

Still unhappy with the focus ability, it is ut performed by my D70s will not track focus in "C" mode and has real trouble locking on focus in S as well. I have tried all the focus modes but it is no good..

I talked to a guy from Photo Continental in Brisbane, told him my story adn he said it should be replaced. Then he asked if I bought it from them.. Maybe it was just talk, but he said PC would have replaced it from their stock if I had because they will have more pull with Nikon than I would to get it replaced. So much for buying locally.

So where to now???? I guess I will ring Nikon tomorrow as it runs out of warranty this month..

More to come I guess.

MATT
    Oneputt

by Oneputt » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:09 am

Not good news Matt - let us know how it goes. Just one question though, how does dropping it come under warranty?