Motorcycles... Any given Sunday...
    Mark675

Motorcycles... Any given Sunday...

by Mark675 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:10 pm

A couple shots from today at Mt White on the Old Pacific Highway(Sydney-Gosford).

I have been practicing my panning shots and finally got a couple i am happy with.
    Any advice for this type of shooting would be greatly appreciated too :D

CC always welcome.

^70mm F/11 1/100sec^

^70mm F/14 1/60sec^

^70mm F/13 1/125sec^

^70mm F/10 1/125sec^
    400d 70-200F4L 10-20sigma 18-55+75-300kit

"I do not regret the things I have done but those I did not do"
    Remorhaz
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Remorhaz » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:56 pm

Nice shots... panning is something else I need to practice sometime :)

I reckon the slowest shutter speed (1/60th) gave the best (least distracting) background here. I found whilst the sharpness of the rider and bike was fine in the last two shots the background is also "sharper".
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:03 pm

nice work panning is difficult to do well

Practice makes the results more consistent

just as an exercise try dropping your shutter speed even slower and see how you go.
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:22 pm

Number 1 for me by a long way.
    As a motorcyclist it has everything except a tight crop (I think they all need cropping). The bike is going L-R the natural perspective for us Christian L-R readers, it's laid over, every biker wants to see that, the side stand is on the verge of touching down - a fraction of a second either way and you may have got a spark. You even have the magic star reflection off the tank.
    Try cropping a little bit so the bottom of the image is just below the bottom white line and the bike is in the left side of the image. I would leave the image to the right of the bike as it is.

Image 2 is just a boring bike. I like Suzukis but that shot does nothing for my biker loins. IMO Images 3 and 4 need some fill light in the dark areas there is too much darkness in both on the bikes and rider detail for my taste.

For motorcycle panning shots I have stayed at 1/125 sec as the default speed for the last nearly 40 years. I find that gives enough blur without turning the background into mush.
    Mark675

by Mark675 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:45 pm

Thanks for the tips guys i will have another crack at this next weekend.
    Good excuse to go for a ride I reckon.
    :D

CraigVTR
    Reporter
    Reporter

by CraigVTR » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:36 am

K1W1 wrote:Number 1 for me by a long way.
    As a motorcyclist it has everything except a tight crop (I think they all need cropping). The bike is going L-R the natural perspective for us Christian L-R readers, it's laid over, every biker wants to see that, the side stand is on the verge of touching down - a fraction of a second either way and you may have got a spark. You even have the magic star reflection off the tank.
    Try cropping a little bit so the bottom of the image is just below the bottom white line and the bike is in the left side of the image. I would leave the image to the right of the bike as it is.

I agree on he advice here for the shot, but as a motorcycle instructor I worry about the riding skill. If this was the middle of the corner that guy could have been in serious trouble especially if #number 3 or 4 was comming the opposite way at the same time, it would not have been pretty. Do be careful where you position yourself as some people tend to look at the camera rather than were they need to go.
    Regards
    Craig
    PPok Other pics in post OK
    So many forums, so little time.
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Good points Craig. From an ATGATT or road positioning point of view #1 is not good but I was only really commenting on the visual side of the photo.

When I take photos these days it's usually on organised rides and I always park my bike with a fluro vest visible prior to where I'm positioned if it's somewhere that the riders are likely to see me so they know I'm there and aren't surprised.
    Mark675

by Mark675 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:08 am

I agree that his corner position is a bit too close to the centreline and his choice of clothing leaves a bit to be desired but really this is about the shot i took not the corner he took.
    I am a rider myself and have ridden this road for seven years now and this is the corner with the most view leading into it. Riders can see me from either direction before they lean it over. I also park my bike around the corner that has a little less view.
    :)

Cropped

• K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:14 am

That crop is way better imo. That's what I had in mind and was trying to suggest to you.
    Mark675

by Mark675 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks Kiwi. Looks much better IMO too.

CraigVTR
    Reporter
    Reporter

by CraigVTR » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:20 am

The shot looks great with the crop, it fills the frame with the intended subject but leaves enough background to generate the sense of movement and speed. The panning imho is really good, a lot better than what I can achieve.

Nice to hear there is good vision on the corner.
    Regards
    Craig
    PPok Other pics in post OK
    So many forums, so little time.