Adelaide meet Fri 7th - Sat 8th of june
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Adelaide meet Fri 7th - Sat 8th of june

by Eden » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:39 pm

Here we go again fellas Friday and Saturday the 7th and 8th of june being the queens birthday long weekend is the next meet at my fathers block.

the directions below

the block by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

house by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

locality by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

and a panorama from someone of the lagoon would be great so I can get it printed for the olds :oops: as a thanks for the weekend invasion.

lagoon from the front of the house

block (3) by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

block (1) by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

and the new spider when I visited last weekend

IMG_9564 by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

You will see Wombats and the odd roo and peregrine falcons ,whistling kites etc

the block has about 7 acres of Mallee and the lagoon edge is graded cliff as per the photos

there is power and bedding and we have elecrtic lights now :wink:

I will mark each intersection that you need to turn after Mt Pleasant with some pink marker tape (bright) and if your coming from the swan reach side along the river you will spot the first marker at the Devon Downs turn off.

alternately I will give you all the house phone number and can meet nearby if needed.

The first formal Australian archaeological excavation took place in 1927 on the River Murray, South Australia. At the time, it was known as Devon Downs but is now better known as Ngaut Ngaut. (this is a 10 min drive away)

Big Bend is 15 mins the other way and has the tallest cliffs on the Murray River and is also pretty awesome at sunset often.

I get no mobile coverage on the property but Im with Voda!

I believe Telstra and Optus are fine but not sure !

on another note I suggest we either bring own food or all put in for some basics for the 3 or so meals we will be there and I will bring the 2 burner gas cooker I have or I will never empty this gas bottle I have.

insect repellent might be a go also (night time)

cheers Eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • Simsy
    Cadet
    Cadet

Re: Adelaide meet Fri 7th - Sat 8th of june

by Simsy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:13 pm

That is a web weaver spider don't get to close to that 1 Edan it is known to sometimes carry the bacteria responsible for the White Tips reputation as having a flesh eating venom. Otherwise it is relatively harmless and wont leave its web, They make a really strong web as well if you ping some of the strands she will go nuts and bounce the net to try to entangle you. eventually she will make a egg sac unless a bird gets her first you will want to destroy the sac otherwise you will end up with them everywhere.

I am looking forward to going up for the weekend it looks like there will be plenty of photo opportunity's for us.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:32 am

Looks like a great spot.
    I look forward to getting some mighty Murray and surrounding area shots.
    evat601

by evat601 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Awesome Eden, looking forward to it!!
    AJ
    Cadet
    Cadet

by AJ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:57 pm

Bit hard for me to join your Adelaide outings as Im 4 hours away but will catch up one day.
    Cant make the June trip as I'll be exploring the Nullabor National Park, which is a bloody long way from the River Murray. :lol:
    Andrew
    Canon 1D, 5D, 7D & D2000 plus lotsa extras
    See here: http://www.digitalslr.com.au/forum/view ... hp?t=10137

My photo website http://touring4x4.com
    Travel & photography blog: http://www.touring4x4.com/blog/
    PP is OK
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:53 am

I understand AJ as my grandparents had a house in Ward St in Whyalla and I lived in Cleave and Pt Augusta as a kid
    my travels would add up to around the world one and a bit times if I think about my travel time to the region and back to Adelaide and I know most of the kangaroos by first name also (slight exaggeration)

If all goes well I might attempt to organise a mid summer meet at my Parents property also.( my Dad is lurking in the background somewhere :) so Shhhhh! ) but can confirm that one down the track.

I would like to think AJ you might (down the track) be able to sort a "Pitchi Ritchi" weekend or "flinders intro" as a meet location and would welcome you If you want to set up the camper trailer in the street one night out the front or stay over to make a meet one day in the meantime.

Anyhow enjoy the Nullabor National Park in June. break a leg!

Eden
    (Its only 4 hrs and I used to drive straight to Sheringa to go fishing on a friday night,,,,,,,, )
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Thu May 23, 2013 9:29 pm

Simsy, Doug and Evan,

the 7th and 8th (fri + sat) is nearing

A - when do you think you will try to arrive on Friday (hoping I will be there thurs night late /fri morn early)

B - When are you planning to leave as I am thinking of going after dark /Sunday night but I am more than happy to stay the extra night if "ANY ONE" of you wishes to go the extra time.

C - Bearing in mind that gives us Friday + Saturday night dinner -----Saturday + Sunday breakfast (+maybe Sunday) ----- Saturday + maybe Sunday lunch ......... so that is approximately 5 meals and upto 7 if you wish to linger as I will also if that is a possibility.

D - There is plenty of bedding , a double and 2 singles not counting the fold out "I USE" in the shed/shack. ( Simsy are you bringing your camper as we only have 75 Acres to accommodate You and power near the shack is easy.

so with the food --- do we all put in for some basics and a small contribution or do we bring our own and a small contribution for odds and sods

My thoughts are we will need

eggs (2 doz) $6
    bacon (1 pack) $8
    snags (1-2 kg) $8
    steak/chops (at least 1 of each/each) $15
    butter or margarine (1tub) $3
    milk 2- 4 litres (real milk or the other stuff) $6
    bread (2 loaves) $5
    coffee/tea (I have some of each) $1
    tomatoes/mushrooms/potatoes (1/2 kg of each) $8
    cheese (1 block 1 kg) $8

= $65-$70

so my thoughts are $15 -$20 each covers us if we all want to get plump !

just a thought

PM me or add to the thread

I will bring a few cheap bottles of wine ( communal ) and "a few beers I like" so bring any booze you want for yourself please.

Look it is all up to you fellas but just let me know your thoughts or how you feel or any ideas you have.

Im so looking forward to having you all there and the captures we will get

Im bringing every bit of gear I have ( in a wheelbarrow ) and a laptop for my education in lightroom (cheers Doug :) )

any ideas or questions , please post or PM me

lets hope for clear skies and no rain !!!

Eden
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • Simsy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Simsy » Fri May 24, 2013 7:11 am

Hey guys just wondering is anybody planning on bringing their Wife's along, mine said she would come if others do I don't care either way really but don't let her know I said that. I will most likely bring my camper as it hasn't been used for over a year so it needs a good airing out, so Eden do you have a 15amp power socket there or only 10amp. I am also thinking of bringing my Nesspresso Machine so we can have some nice coffee.
    evat601

by evat601 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:03 am

Eden wrote:A - when do you think you will try to arrive on Friday (hoping I will be there thurs night late /fri morn early)
    B - When are you planning to leave as I am thinking of going after dark /Sunday night but I am more than happy to stay the extra night if "ANY ONE" of you wishes to go the extra time.
    C - Bearing in mind that gives us Friday + Saturday night dinner -----Saturday + Sunday breakfast (+maybe Sunday) ----- Saturday + maybe Sunday lunch ......... so that is approximately 5 meals and upto 7 if you wish to linger as I will also if that is a possibility.
    D - There is plenty of bedding , a double and 2 singles not counting the fold out "I USE" in the shed/shack. ( Simsy are you bringing your camper as we only have 75 Acres to accommodate You and power near the shack is easy.

A - Thinking about getting there Friday evening (will have to leave after work)
    B - Leaving bright eyed and bushy tailed on Sunday morning (time for breakfast maybe)
    C - I'll probably only be around for 4 meals (3 SAT and 1 SUN)
    D - I'll bring a sleeping bag and pillow do you have a mattress of some description or should I bring a blowup mattress?

Food wise, I'm happy to put in for a communal fund (i.e. ~$30.00). In the end it's probably easier for everyone, no?

Simsy wrote:Hey guys just wondering is anybody planning on bringing their Wife's along...

I was, but have now pulled the pin as it will be too much (cold/boredom) for her and my daughter (11 months old) so I am coming stag!!
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Fri May 24, 2013 7:16 pm

I'm there on my own as I'll be doing nothing but photography so she and Ebony (daughter) would be bored also

chances are there will be a curry or the likes of waiting Friday night for when we all arrive

will chat more as it gets closer

eden
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sat May 25, 2013 12:47 am

Just me as well, Jodie enjoys the house to herself if I'm off doing boring boy stuff.

I'll put in for leave for the Friday(can't see it being a problem) and mozzy up to arrive early afternoon Friday , will probably eat on the way.

Will probably leave midday Sunday to be back before dark, I'll work that out based on the trip there. Lunch would be good Sunday.

I will bring a sleeping bag and pillow, so will crash on one of the beds you mentioned.

I like the idea of putting in for basics, sounds like good tucker you have listed.
    There is only 4 main meals that most or all of us will be there for and you mention curry as a possibility for the first one.
    It shouldn't be hard to coordinate us bringing any extras for the rest.
    I could bring something pre cooked for us all, for a quick easy meal. Stir fried steak with oyster sauce on rice, something like that.

Looking forward to it, also hope the weather is kind.
    We where going originally to to photograph the night sky, that's going to be cold.
  • Simsy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Simsy » Sat May 25, 2013 9:27 am

It shouldn't be that cold unless you plan on being up just b4 dawn then it will be in single figures I suspect. So the wife is staying home (thank god) that way I can eat whatever I want lol. I plan on bringing my camper just to give it a use this year, I am also going to bring all my camera gear and my laptop. I am happy to put in for food with the rest of you, my plan at this stage is to head up after work hopefully I can get out early but we will see. If not then I might wait until sat morning, I am planning on heading home Sunday prob around mid morning.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Sat May 25, 2013 10:39 am

You betta hope its not raining fellas !!!

If it is there are a couple of old slides you can peek at (120 per carousel)

there are about another 10 - 15 carousels lying around loose and a few of the old yellow plastic packs that hold 40 ish floating around in the shed also

slides (2) by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

slides (1) by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

heh heh
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:53 am

Getting close now :)

Can we be giving you a hand in any way Eden?
    Like helping get some of the basic food items you listed, or bringing extras to share with meals, or even a pre-prepared meal for us all?

I'm happy to go with any meal plan you might have outlined, just let us know what we can do to spread the load of bring it together.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:58 am

Carousels sure beat the socks off an aching elbow from holding slides aloft one-by-one.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi