Canon ef-s 18-55 fstop
  • tory_heaslop

Canon ef-s 18-55 fstop

by tory_heaslop » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:39 am

Hi

This may be a silly question but here goes.

On AV mode the max fstop value without using zoom is 5.6 right? And this is what is showing up on the display.

Now I thought then when I zoomed the fstop would change to 3.5 (again using max value).

However when I zoom in and out the Fstop value on the display doesn't change. Whether wide or zoomed it only ever goes from 5.6+.

So how do I get it down to 3.5?

Thanks
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Canon ef-s 18-55 fstop

by Busiboy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:17 am

Hi there,

After you zoom in you need to dial the aperture down to 3.5 it won't automatically change down despite it changing up.

It's the same on all cameras.

Hope you enjoy your stay here
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • tory_heaslop

by tory_heaslop » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

The the is, I have tried dialing it down and it still won't go below 5.6! Do you have any idea why this might be?

Thanks
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:17 pm

At what focal length won't it open up?
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • tory_heaslop

by tory_heaslop » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:59 pm

At no point does it go to 3.5. Only to 5.6. My understanding was the this lense would go to 3.5...
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:48 pm

tory_heaslop wrote:At no point does it go to 3.5. Only to 5.6. My understanding was the this lense would go to 3.5...

It will only go to f/3.5 on the wide end of the zoom. Try setting the focal length to 18mm and the aperture should open up to f/3.5 when adjusted.

If you've adjusted the aperture while shooting at 55mm, then set it back to f/5.6, it won't automatically open up to f/3.5 as you go back to the wide end of the zoom - the camera remembers being set to f/5.6, not being in some kind of 'max aperture mode'. If it won't go to f/3.5 while the lens is set to 18mm, it sounds like the aperture mechanism in the lens is probably buggered. Not a common occurance, but not unheard of either, it normally wouldn't adjust either way wider/smaller if this is the case - it'd normally just be stuck.

If the lens/aperture is working correctly - AFAIK, if you set the aperture to f/3.5 on the wide end, it should go back to that when zooming in and out - UNLESS you adjust the aperture while shooting with the zoom extended (as per above). Hope that helps.
  • tory_heaslop

by tory_heaslop » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:59 pm

Yes perhaps it's the aperture mechanism. Thank you everyone so much for your help

Tory
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:40 pm

You should be getting error "01" or "99" if it is the aperture cable depending on the Canon model camera you have and how bad the cable is.

as it is only the 18-55 IS kit lens you can get another cheaper ( $100ish) than the repair cost of an aperture cable ($200-$300)

canon has lots of issues with aperture flex cables cracking under use the most common models being

17-40L
    17-85 (the most problematic)
    24-105L
    18-55

google "17-85 aperture cable failure" etc...

Set the camera to M mode, 18mm, f3.5 . Half press the shutter and hold. While holding the shutter, hold down the depth of field button. It should stop down normally and you can look down the barrel of the lens and see it doing its thing. Next, move the aperture to f22 or whatever you feel like and try stopping down again. What should happen is that the lens chucks a fit and the problem is diagnosed.

if that hasnt got a reaction repeat but set it to 55mm and repeat process.

if this does not get a fault or lens "hissy fit" it probably is not the aperture cable!

Hope this is of some use

good luck

Eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK